One of my all time favorite essential oils is peppermint. It is a diverse oil that has a host of different uses. I love that I am able to use one oil for all of my health, fitness and home endeavors. I find myself reaching for the oil on a daily basis. With all of its amazing properties, it’s no wonder that people have been using this oil for centuries!
Peppermint Essential Oil Benefits
Peppermint oil is analgesic, antibacterial, anti-inflamatory, antiviral and antiseptic. All of these properties make it perfect for an all purpose oil. The oil can be used to aid digestion, relive pain, increase mental stimulation and so much more. I always say, when in doubt, choose peppermint ;). With so many remarkable qualities it’s no wonder we’ve been using it for centuries!
Peppermint Essential Oil Uses
- Do you have mild digestion problems? Dilute with carrier oil and rub on stomach before meals to aid in digestion.
- Mid afternoon fatigue? Diffuse in air, or place on back of neck to increase clarity and increase energy. I do this to my husband whenever he is studying, and he absolutely loves the extra boost of power.
- Do you want a bug free house or hiking experience? Simply mix 8-10 drop with water in a spray bottle to ward off misquotes, spiders and mice. We have gone on hikes with and without the spray. With the spray we never get a single nibble!
- Hard workout? Dilute with carrier oil and rub onto skin to ease sore muscles. I truly feels amazing after a hard speed workout.
- Want fresh breath? Add to homemade toothpaste for fresh breath. According to Dr. Mercola:
“Peppermint oil extract is shown to be more effective than the mouthwash chemical chlorhexidine in preventing the development of biofilm that contribute to cavitiesRub onto temples and neck to alleviate headaches.” Source
- Have a headache after a long day? Rub oil on temple for a cooling sensation. I like to mix a little lavender in with the peppermint for quick relief.
Do you have a favorite essential oil? How do you use peppermint oil?